Lewis Wilkinson and Sarah Terrill had a son  named John in
1723.  Lewis lived by Town Hill Brook near the falls until 1747.  
He is later on noted to be sharing a house with his son John,
and died sometime after 9 June 1756. John  married a woman
named Jerusha Brownson and fathered a large family, including
a son named Ichabod, born in 1753.  John  is reported to die in
1791.  After this date the widow Wilkinson and her six sons (all
farmers except for Abel, who was a blacksmith) are reported to
move to Cayuga County, New York.  The reasons for this move
are lost in the mists of time for the moment but I hope that one
day we can understand more about it. While still living in New
Milford, Connecticut, Ichabod volunteered with the Continental
Army, serving with two of his  brothers during the Revolutionary
War.  In a statement made in 1818 he related the following:
John Wilkinson & Ichabod Wilkinson
Rev War record for pension from the
National Archives;

On this 27 th day of May A.D. 1819 before Robert Taylor an Associate Judge for
the county of Butler in the State of Ohio for the Court of Common Pleas,
Personally appeared Ichobod Wilkinson, age sixty five years of age on the 4th
day of November in the year 1818, who being duly sworn by me on his oath doth
make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of War act of
congress, entitled an act to provide for certain persons engaged in the army and
naval service of the United States in the Revolutionary war (about three weeks
before Danbury was burnt) that same time in the month of April or March the
year of our Lord 1777 at New Milford, in the County of Litchfield in the State of
Connecticut, he enlisted to serve as a private soldier for the term of three years
into the Company of Captain Eleazar Warner in the regiment Command by
Colonal Herman Swift, in the Brigade Commanded by General Huntingeton in the
Connecticut line, he marched from New Milford to Danbury,from thence to
Redding, thence to Perth Hill , they remained at the last mentioned place during
the major part of the next summer, after the aforesaid enlistment, they then
crossed the North river at Kings Ferry and went to Haverstraw and to ??  ???, he
dose not recollect to which of the last mentioned place he arrived at first, from
thence to Elizabeth Town, New York, to Mount Holly, to White Mash, from there
to Germantown, where he was engaged in the Battle, from thence to Valley
Forge where he remained during the winter. He spent the first Winter after the
said enlistment at Redding in Connecticut, the second in the Highlands, the third
at Valley Forge. he was engaged in the battles of Mounmouth and Germantown.
He was discharge at Valley Forge in the spring of the year 1780. General
Huntingdon being absent from the camp, he was honorably discharged by
Colonel Beadly, by whom his written discharged was signed. The said Ichobod
declares under Oath that he faithfully served the United States during the
aforesaid term of three years. Immediately after said enlistment Captain Eleazar
Warner became sick and resigned, 1st Lieutenant Ebenezar Hill was promoted to
his rank of Captain and commanded the aforesaid company until this applicant
was discharged, the aforesaid service was performed under the command and in
the said Brigade of General Huntingdon on and in the continental establishment,
in the Revolutionary war and against the common enemy, the aforesaid written
discharge has been taken from this applicant and he believes it to be at the town
of North East in the state of Pennsylvania, that he procured said discharge to be
recorded by the town clerk of New Milford in the state of Connecticut in the
year 1780.  This applicant further states that he has no other evidence now in   
his power of having performed the aforesaid services, this applicant further
states from the infirmity of old age, poverty and from his reduced circumstances
in life he absolutely stands in need of the assistance of his country for support
  that he now resides in Butler County, State on Ohio sworn to and
subscribed before me this 27th day of May 1819
During this time there is little documentation for Joel Taylor Wilkinson.  He is reported
to be a member of Jury in Fleming, New York in some information.  The next definite
siting of Joel is in 1812 when he is listed as a private in a company of soldiers
mustered from Ohio during the War of 1812.  That information is listed in the Data
section of the Wilkinson information.

Joel eventually married a woman, Hannah Barnes, who was nearly 20 years younger
than he was.  I am currently gathering information on the Barnes Family and will add
that to this report when it is ready.  The Barnes family came from Kentucky and the
marriage occured in Hamilton County, Ohio.  Joel and Hannah Wilkinson had a large
family in Ohio, with whom we begin to enter the era of better documentation.  There
are however, persistant stories of Joel for a time moving to Roanoke, Virginia and
being involved in the overland trade through the Cumberland Gap which connected
Virginia with the Hamilton County, Ohio region.  One story I have says that Joel
farmed and had a coopery shop in Ohio.  His son and namesake is listed as also
being a cooper.  This son, Joel Wilkinson, migrated to Henry County, Indiana in 1835,
establishing the Wilkinson foothold in the area to the east of New Castle.

Miamitown, Ohio is just outside of the city of Cincinatti, which at the time was a
bustling river port and point of entry to large tracts of newly opened lands to the
north.   Coopery was a craft much in demand in the area.  Joel Taylor Wilkinson died
in Miamitown in 1851, while his wife, Hannah, born in Kentucky, moved to Liberty
Twp., Henry Co., Indiana, where she died in 1865. Joel and  Hannah Barnes had 13
children.  Their 12th child was named Samuel Wilkinson, born in 1833 in Ohio,
although some family historians list his birthplace as Roanoke, Virginia. He was a
farmer in Colerain Township of Hamilton County, where he married Angeline Hubbard,
daughter of Elder Dawson Hubbard.  Many branches of our family lived in close
proximity to each other in Colerain Township and were instrumental in establishing the
"White Oak Christian Church" there.  In the Data section is a report taken from the still
existing church which highlights these families.   In 1860 Samuel and Angeline moved
to Henry County, Indiana, either going with or following several of his older brothers
and sisters.   Old family tales speak of barn raisings and furniture building.  Both make
a sort of sense when one considers the occupation of Joel.  Coopery is a master
wood working craft, much to do with the making of wooden barrels used extensively in
those days for the transport of all sorts of materials.  There would be a constant
demand for wooden barrels, in a busy river port like Cincinnati.  It would make sense
for the young Samuel to have learned the trade of his father in the family workshop.  
Coopery also involves blacksmithing to fabricate the metal rings used to secure the
top and bottom of barrels.

Samuel and Angeline had 11 children, the 6th being a son, James Wilkinson, born in
Henry County in 1865. James was married twice, first to Luella Adams and then after
her death in 1902, to Minnie Williams.  The story of James Wilkinson and Minnie
Williams continues in the "Williams Family" summary.  James had five children, each
of whom started a family line that comes down to the current day.  A continuation of
the Wilkinson story will include the Mahoney, Stewart, Phenninger, Blackburn and
Wilkinson family lines.
In 1847 a 90 year old Ann Taylor Wilkinson swore out a statement about Ichabod
Wilkinson's Revolutionary War service.  She was at the time living in Pennsylvania
near Erie:
The family of 1. "Widow" Wilkinson1 (2-7):
______ Wilkinson,
______ _______,
Of New Milford, Conn.

I.           Abel2 (2-3)                
II.          Ichabod2         
III.         Jonathan2         
IV.         Amos2         
V.          Asahel2         
VI.         Isaac2         

I. Abel. The date sic of birth and death of this family have not been ascertained.
Abel was born in Conn. and came with his mother to Poplar Ridge in 1790-4.
He was a blacksmith and married Rebecca Somers, of P. R., now Scipio.
They had two children.

Abel was among the early settlers of Fleming, Cayuga Co., N. Y., and kept the
first inn there in 1792.*

II. Ichabod's name is mentioned in connection with Benj. Irish, father or brother
of Rev. David Irish, Joseph Grover, Edward Wheeler, James Herrington, and
his brother Abel, the early settlers of Fleming.*

* See "Gazetteer of New York" p. 202.
Steve Dornbos' Revolutionary War Ancestors

Here is some information that I have gathered about my ancestors who served
as soldiers in the American Revolution. Some of this information has been
gathered from secondary sources and has yet to be thoroughly verified.
Information on Ichabod Wilkinson and Reuben Beebe is based heavily on their
pension applications. I am currently in the process of verifying everything
through the National Archives and the Sons of the American Revolution:

Abel Wilkinson (5 Mar 1752 – 20 Mar 1838)- Great^5 grandfather.  Occupation:
Blacksmith, Innkeeper.  Born in New Milford, Litchfield, CT, and died in NY.  He
married Hannah Summers, daughter of Samuel Summers, on 23 Dec 1773 in
New Milford, Litchfield, CT.  Enlisted as Private in Connecticut on 1 Feb 1776.  
Served for 2 months and 23 days under Lieutenants Ebenezer Couch and Elizur

Ichabod Wilkinson (4 Dec 1753 – 3 Mar 1825)- Great^5 granduncle.  
Occupation: Innkeeper.  Born in New Milford, Litchfield, CT, and died in
Fleming, Cayuga, NY or Butler County, OH.  He married Anna Taylor on 13 Apr
1775 in New Milford, Litchfield, CT.  Discharged from 7th Connecticut Regiment
on 12 Feb 1780 after serving for 3 years under Captain Ebenezer Hill and
Colonel Herman Swift.  Involved in battles of Germantown and Monmouth.  
Wintered at Valley Forge in 1777.  
Being a short man, he was always
positioned in the front line during battle so that others could shoot over
his head
.  Pension commenced 27 May 1819 while a resident of Butler County,
OH.  His widow Anna received pension 8 Feb 1847 at age 90 years 7 months
while a resident of Greenfield, Erie, PA.
The "widow" Wilkinson referred to here is Jerusha Brownson Wilkinson, wife of John
Wilkinson.  The above quoted book goes on to list her children as
Ichabod married a woman named Ann Taylor in New Milford.  .  Joel Taylor followed
with his father to Cayuga County, New York  in 1794.  In a passage from a book
named "Memories of the Wilkinson Family in America" written in 1869 there is this
brief mention of our branch of the family.  It is a fragment of information and some of
the details, such as the attempt to make a connection to a Edward Wilkinson, are
incorrect we now know:
"Widow" Wilkinson of New Milford, Ct.,
and Her Descendants.

Our information concerning this branch of the family is briefly as follows:

______ Wilkinson of New Milford, probably a descendant of Edward, married
______ _______ and had a family. After his death, his wife with her six sons, all
farmers except Abel moved to Poplar Ridge, now Scipio, Cayuga county, N. Y.

Col. Lyman L. Wilkinson of Auburn, [Cayuga Co.,] N. Y., a great grandson of the
widow, writes as follows,  "My great grandmother—name unknown—from New
Milford, [Litchfield Co.,] Conn. settled at Poplar Ridge in this county with her six
sons, all farmers except my grandfather who was a blacksmith, in the year 1794.
I should think from what I have heard the old settlers say that my great
grandfather living on the "Sound" was a man of some property, which he held
subordinate to the greater consideration of giving his boys a good common
school education for those times, which always included a strictly religious
Baptist education. Our family came here when Auburn had but two or three
settlers. Old Mr. Hardenburgh and Eldad Steele were living here in shanties
covered with bark, and one other family whose name I have forgotten."
Ichabod would then seem to have arrived in Cayuga County, New York in 1794 aged
about 40 years old, married and with a family already well started.  Our direct
ancestor, Joel Taylor Wilkinson, followed his father and grandmother to New York.  At
this time he would have been approximately 18 years old.  Ichabod, from the above
information, then, would have started in this new land as a farmer.  At some point
there are several indications that he became involved in Innkeeping:
The following information is from from a website owned by Steve Dornbos, states that
Ichabod died in either New York or Ohio.  We now know that he indeed died in Ohio
and is buried there.  Further information on Ichabod at this time:

History of Springport, New York
From: History of Cayuga County, New York
By: Elliot G. Storke, Assisted by: Jos H. Smith
Published by: D. Mason & Co.,
Syracuse, New York, 1879


The first settlements were made in 1790. Among those who settled in that and
the following year were Benjamin Irish, the Grovers, Edward Wheeler,
Ichabod and Abel Wilkinson and James Harrington. Benjamin Irish was a
son of Elder David Irish, who settled first in Scipio and subsequently, in 1800,
in Fleming, at which time he became pastor of the Baptist Church at Fleming,
which was organized by him four years prelviously. Benjamin settled about two
miles north of Fleming village, where David Baker now lives. He removed west
about 1820, with his family. Eight sisters married and lived in that locality, and
his father, the Elder, died on that farm in 1815. Joseph Grover settled about
two miles north-west of Fleming, where Ephraim Beach now lives. His brother
Samuel, and cousins Penuel, John, Zadoc, William, Solomon and Thomas, all
of whom, except William, had families, settled in the same locality, which was
long known as Grover's Hill. The Grovers were from the Eastern States.
Joseph Grover opened a store in 1797, which was the first store in the town.
Grover's Hill gave early promise of becoming a thriving village, and had
assumed considerable. importance long before much improvement was made
on Fleming Hill, its future successful rival. Two Sons of Penuel Grover, are
living, viz: David and Abram, the former in Scipio and the latter on the old
Fleming place. Edward Wheeler settled on the ridge road, on the west line of
the town, where his great-grandson, Geo. Wheeler, now lives, and where he
died. His youngest son, Aurelius Wheeler, who was born March 28th, 1792,
and named after the town of Aurelius, was the first white child born in the town
of Fleming. He and his brother Elijah subsequently removed to Aurelius and
died there, the former November 5th, 1870.

The following year, 1792, Abel Wilkinson opened the first inn, in this year
also occurred the first death, the wife of George 1vVest, who, in company with
a family named Nettleton, came in a short time before from the Eastern
States, and settled just west of Fleming. Nettleton settled on a farm adjoining
West's on the west, where Jonathan Griffiths now lives, and kept a distillery.
Both moved west after 1812. In 1794, the first school was taught by John
Herring, who had settled at Auburn, then Hardenbergli's Corners.

September 7th, 1801, at the house of Ichabod Wilkinson, in the present
town of Fleming, which house is still standing on what is known as the
Culver farm, on the Poplar Ridge road. The house was then used as a
tavern, and indeed the meetings were held for several years in taverns,
which were the only houses large enough to accommodate the numbers
who attended.
The original members were: Samuel Culver, from Eyremont,
Mass.; Gilbert Weed and his wife Abigail, from Greenfield, Saratoga Co.;
Josiah Mix and his wife Rebecca, from Granville, Washington Co.; and Jacob
Shaw, from Norton, Mass.; all of whom brought letters from the churches with
which they had respectively been connected, and were organized as the First
Church in Aurelius, of which this town was then a part, by Rev. Jacob Cram, a
missionary sent to Western New York by the Massachusetts society. The first
deacons were Gilbert Weed and Joseph Thayer, who were elected December
17th, 1802.
Jim Wilkinson