(1) Reduced copy of a report 'Genealogy of the Luce Family' 1955 – 1956, by Edith
Voyles. This report was found by Leda Jane Kern in 2006 after the passing of Mary
Love Cloud. The report made it possible to use the Internet to greatly expand our
knowledge of this family line. One key piece of information found in the report was the
names of Mary Luce's parents and grandparents. This has led to a most interesting
line of ancestors which I am still investigating which ties our family into several
important royal lines of descent in Europe.
(2) Information found on the Internet documenting John Luce and Elizabeth Hays.
This information took our knowledge of the Luce family in America back to a man
named Henry Luce, born in 1640 in England, who immigrated to America and died
on Martha's Vinyard, Massachusetts.
(3) Information found on the Internet about Reverend John Gerard and his family.
Included with this is a lengthy extract from an article describing the early history of the
settlement of Miami County, Ohio which includes mention of several of John Gerard's
REVEREND JOHN GERARD AND HIS CHILDREN
Thanks to Robert and Carolyn Gerard Authors of
Garard/Garrard/Gerard/Gerrard/Girard Descendants of Rev. John, Elias & William
the following is available:
The following excerpts from various works are included so the reader may decide
when John Garard first settled in the part of Frederick County, Virginia that became
Berkeley County in 1772 and where he came from.
The records of the Mill Creek Primitive Baptist Church of Berkeley County, Virginia are
in the possession of the Virginia Baptist Historical Society whose records are kept at
the University of Richmond, Richmond Virginia. Among the papers is a suggested
inscription for a marker at Gerrardstown, as follows:
MILL CREEK CHURCH - 1743
Here is the site of the first Baptist Church planted between the Potomac and the
James Rivers. It was organized in 1743 by Edward Hayes, Thomas Yates, and their
Company from Sater's Church in Maryland. John Garard, for whom the town was
Named, was its pastor from 1755 to 1787.
HOPEWELL FRIEND'S HISTORY, 1734-1934 states that, "On this tract of land stood
the Mill Creek Baptist Church, the first of that denomination in the Shenandoah Valley,
and probably the first in Virginia. It stood in what is now the village of Gerrardstown
and was organized about the year 1743. Soon thereafter the Rev. Henry Loveall
became its pastor. Other leaders soon succeeded him, notably Elder John Gerrard, in
or about 1753."
James B. Taylor's BAPTIST VIRGINIA MINISTERS says that John Garrard migrated
from the state of Pennsylvania, to the county of Berkeley Virginia in 1754. That part of
the country was sparsely inhabited and subject to the assaults of the Indians. Having
been frequently annoyed by them, most of the church, with Mr. Gerrard, removed
below the Blue Ridge and settled in Loudon County, a part of Fairfax until 1757.
During his stay there he was instrumental in the conversion of many sinners. Another
church was constituted and was called Kentockton. John Garrard returned to
Berkeley County and continued to serve the Mill Creek Church until his death.
THE BAPTISTS OF VIRGINIA 1699-1926 by Garnett Ryland, 1955, states that in
1743 Edward Hayes and Thomas Yates from Chestnut Ridge in Maryland settled on
Mill Creek, which was then Frederick County. Henry Loveall, their minister, followed
them. He organized the Mill Creek Church, sometimes called the Opekon, as Mill
Creek was a tributary of the Opequon Creek. When Loveall left them the people
requested the Philadelphia Association to assist them. Four men were sent to
evaluate the church at Opekon or Mill Creek and at Ketocton, which had been
constituted in 1751. Samuel Heaton became the first pastor of the Mill Creek Church
in 1752 but gave up the pastorate before 1754 was over and moved to Konolowa. To
succeed him the Philadelphia Association in 1755 authorized the ordination of John
Garrard at Mill Creek. Garrard, who had come from Pennsylvania, was pastor for
thirty-two years until his death in 1787.
Gardiner's CHRONICLES OF OLD BERKELEY states that a Baptist minister by the
name of Mr. Stearns in the company of a number of others, removed from New
England. They first stopped at the Opequon in Berkeley County Virginia where a
Baptist Church was formed under the care of Rev. John Gerrard. This was most likely
the first Baptist church founded west of the Blue Ridge.
The HISTORY OF BERKELEY COUNTY says that a Baptist Meeting House near the
Opequon Creek was erected in 1754 through the efforts of Rev. John Gerard who
came from New Jersey.
J.E. Norris' HISTORY OF THE LOWER SHENANDOAH VALLEY says, among the
earliest settlers of this region at the time of the organization of Frederick County were
a colony of Baptists, consisting of fifteen families, that came from New Jersey in 1742
and settled in the vicinity of where Gerrardstown was later built. Rev John Gerrard
formed the first Baptist organization in the valley and the society shortly afterward
built their first church. It is stated in
Cartmell's SHENANDOAH VALLEY PIONEERS AND THEIR DESCENDANTS that
the Baptist appeared with the formation of Frederick County in 1743 and then they
came with a large "immigrant train" from New Jersey and settled at the point of
Gerrardstown when the Rev. John Gerrard organized them.
The first land records that place John in what was to become Berkeley County,
Virginia was in the year 1762. He received two land grants from Lord Fairfax south
of the present Gerrardstown: 227 acres dated 11 Dec 1762 and 251 acres dated 29
Aug 1766. Ninety acres, excluding one acre for the Baptist Meeting House, which
adjoined the two original tracts was purchased 28 May 1770, Frederick Co. VA Deed
Book 3, p.478, 481. The one-acre tract was deeded to the Baptist Congregation the
same day. Another tract of 235 acres on the drains of Middle and Tuscarora Creeks
was purchased 12 May 1769, Frederick Co. VA Deed Book 13, p.40. John and his
wife, Mehetable, sold this tract 19 Apr 1774. They sold 150 acres of the 1766 grant
to their son David 4 Apr 1769, Berkeley Co. Deed Book 3, p.88. and the 90 acre
tract to David in 1779, Deed Book 5, p.268.
John's first wife, Mehetable, died sometime after 18 May 1779 when she and John
sold 90 acres to their son, David. To date no one has been able to prove
Mehetable's surname, although several assumptions have been made. By 1781
John had remarried to Mary Gray and their first child was born 31 Jan 1782.
Rev. John furnished wheat for the Continental Army in the Revolutionary War and he
is listed as a Patriot. He left a will that was written 19 Aug 1787 and recorded 18 Sep
1787 in Berkeley Co. Will Book 1, p.460. The will names his wife, Mary, his children,
the children of his daughter Mehetable and Isaac Gerrard, the son of William.
THE BERKELEY JOURNAL - HISTORY OF GERRARDSTOWN, Issue Fifteen, 1991,
Don Wood, researcher.
From the Tenmile County and its pioneer families-A Genealogical History of the Upper
Monongahela Valley by Howard L. Leckey:
THE GARARD FAMILY
The History of Berkeley County, Virginia, tells of the founding of Gerrardstown on land
owned by Rev. John Gerrard. This was the ancestor of the Garard Family of Big
Whiteley Creek; the name having changed spelling to the generally accepted form
now used by most branches of the family. Rev. John Gerrard was born about 1720,
and died in Berkeley County, Virginia, where on August 19, 1787, he made a will,
which was proven there on September 18, 1787, so it is evident that he died between
the two dates in 1787. Records show that he was twice married, the first wife being
Mehetable .......; the second, who with John Gray were executors appointed in his
will, was Mary, said to have been a sister of John Gray. The first wife died about
1778-79. At least three children. Who were minors at the time of Rev. John Gerrard's
death, were of the second marriage. (Berkeley County Will Book 1. pp. 460)
From Volume two of the book:
MEMOIRS OF THE MIAMI VALLEY
Published in 1920
Pages 495 - 511
- Forward - The Boundaries of Miami County - The County Seat -
- The Miami County Courthouse War - Early Transportation -
- The Miami Canal - County Schools - Eary Banking -
- Journalism - Physicians - Dental Associaton -
- Miami County Bar Association -
This being a history, or as the title suggests, the Memoirs of Miami valley, it will not be
the province of this work to review those infinite details of each county, which have
been so faithfully depicted in the past. Rather, it is a purpose to treat the Miami valley
as a whole, with such variations as will be found necessary to preserve those vital or
epochal events of each county.
Thus, the great conservancy work will be treated as a whole as will also the Symmes
purchase and other events. So, the work is intended primarily as a comprehensive
history of the Miami valley in all of its important phases, with a broader and we might
say a more sympathetic insight into the modern phases of each county embraced in
Very properly the history of Miami county must begin with the Indian occupancy. It is
true, the Mound Builders antedated this period. This period, however, has been the
subject for numerous researches by archeologist, historian and student and is familiar
to almost every school child and taught as a part of school curriculum. The
monuments left by those pre-historic people is the best assurance of the interest of
The great Algonquin tribe, occupied this part of Ohio when the first white man
penetrated into its fastness. The Algonquins were a powerful confederacy and held
absolute sway over this dominion. They had successfully contested all attempts to
dislodge them, frequently measuring their strength with the powerful Iroquois.
The Algonquins were composed of a number of tribal units, apparently, however,
without many distinctive differences. The French first applied the name Miamis to the
Indians living in and around what is now Miami county; by others they were called the
Twi gtwees; the provincial council of Penn, referring to them as the Tweechtwese.
The history subsequent to the early incursion of the whites finds their allegiance
divided between the French and the English. The same lack of common interest
being found here as with other tribes throughout the country; the Miamis were allied
with the French and a number of the other tribes in this vicinity were allied with the
English. The English together with the Cherokees, Delawares and other tribes were
victorious in one of their many clashes with the French and their Indian allies,
including the Miamis; subsequently, the Miamis being continuously harassed by the
English, removed to the Maumee river and left this territory to the Shawanoes, a
nomadic tribe, who came originally from the South, in all probability from the vicinity
There had been sporadic attempts at settlements by the whites in this region; as far
back as 1749, the French and English beginning that long drawn out contest for
supremacy, which only ended with the fall of Quebec. One Christopher Grist, who
was an English agent for the Ohio Trading company who visited this part of the valley,
found the Indians on terms of amity with the white adventurers as late as 1750. He
referred to their villages as 50 miles up the Miami and states their number to have
been at least 200. It is asserted and claimed with some degree of validity that some
of these villages were near the present site of Piqua.
As far back as 1849 the French controlled the trade of this country and claimed
possession by right of settlement. The French Governor of Canada, Grallisonier,
caused lead plates, engraved with the claims of the French government, to be placed
at the mouth of rivers running into the Ohio. One of these plates dated August 16th,
1749, was found near the mouth of the Muskingum. However, this attempt at
possession was abortive, as the French claims were in constant dispute by the
English. There was desultory fighting between the English and French for permanent
possessi on and when the keystone of the situation, Quebec, passed into the hands
of the English, the English claims were largely secured.
The French had built a line of fortifications from the Ohio toward the Great Lakes; and
about 1749 the English had established a trading center at the mouth of Loramies
creek. This so-called intrusion of the English, impelled the French to demand of the
Twigtwees the surrender of the trading house to them. Their refusal to do so, resulted
in the seizure of this place by the French and their Indian allies; the Indian defenders
being killed or driven away and the English traders were carried to Canada as
In October, 1753, the Twigtwees, Shawanoes and other tribes in this vicinity sent
representatives to meet the commissions of Pennsylvania. This meeting was held at
Carlisle and a treaty was concluded. Benjamin Franklin was one of the
commissioners. in the summer of 1780 General George Clarke, after a prolonged
contest with the savages, destroyed all the Piqua towns on Mad river, laid waste their
cultivated lands and destroyed the last vestige of their possessions. The Shawanoes,
humiliated by this defeat, moved to the Great Miami. Here they built a new settlement
and largely turned to hunting for their subsistence. Two years later, recovering from
their chastisement, they engaged in a series of raids into Kentucky, killing all whites
whom they encountered. They committed many terrible outrages and swooped down
on all unprotected settlements, killing without mercy.
This condition called for reprisals and General Clarke in 1782 raised an army of 1,000
Kentuckians. The well known fighting ability of these famous frontiersmen earned for
them the name "Long Knives." They were fearless and their life in the wilderness had
inured them to its hardships. The Indians had great respect for the fighting qualities of
these men and often when the Indian scouts reported the "Long Knives" coming, the
Indians fled into the wilderness without any combat. Clarke and his "Long Knives"
crossed into the Ohio, at what is now Cincinnati, and began their march into the
interior fastness. Scouts were sent in. advance and the command soon reached the
vicinity of Dayton. They then marched up the great Miami and crossed the river about
four miles below the Piqua towns.
A pow-wow was about to be held in the Piqua Towns. Braves with their squaws, were
flocking in from all parts of the territory. Amoung these was a party on horseback,
attended by their squaws. In this party was a white-squaw, a Mrs. McFall, whom the
Indians had captured in a raid into Kentucky. This party had emerged from the forest
when they came into full view of General Clarks ruggad army of "Long Knifes." Taken
by surprise and terror stricken they fled, leaving their squaws and Mrs McFall, the
white woman, in the hands of General Clark. When Clark and his men reached the
Piqua towns he found them deserted, the entire Indian population having fled at first
During the following night, Indians lurking in the surrounding bushes fired on the
outposts. The whole army was aroused and hurling themselves into the bush and
woods, they fires indiscriminatly into the darkness. The next morning five Indians
were found dead. During this skrimish several horsed had strayed away. Captain
McCracken and another were detailed in search of them. The Indians fired at them,
mortally wounding both. Captain McCracken lingered, until the command reached
Cincinnati on its return trip, where he died and was buried. Among those who settled
in Miami county, who engaged in the activities of this enterprise,were Abrahamm
Thomas and Captain Barbee, the latter of Barbee, the latter of whom became a
judge of this county.
The spirit of the Indians was at this time completely broken. Clarke had laid waste the
towns, destroyed their crops and other substance. They were now reduced to
absolute want and had been thoroughly cowed in this engagement.
On January 31, 1786, a meeting was held at the mouth of the Great Miami. General
Clarke, Richard Butler and Samuel H. Parsons, Commissioners, met the Delawares,
Wyandottes, and Shawanoes. At this meeting some of the Indians were still disposed
to treachery and some of them were prepared to defy Clarke and his associates.
The stern demeanor of Clarke, his uncompromising atitude, and his utter
fearlessness, thoroughly cowed the Indians. Clarke abruptly accepted the mandate
of one of the chiefs who seeking to bluff Clarke, gave him the alternative of war or
peace, dictated by the Indians. Clarke instantly hurled defiance at the assembled
Indians, choosing war if he could not have peace on his own terms. The Indians
finally acquiesced and the terms of peace were arranged. This signal victory of
Clarke and his associates again endeared himself to the pioneers of this territory,
who idealized him as much as the Indians feared him.
The last great campaign against the Indians, which initiated the subsequent security
from their attacks, was the Wayne expedition, headed by the intrepid Mad Mad
Anthony Wayne. After a bloody contest at Fallen Timbers, the Treaty of Greenville
was accomplished in 1795, which ceded all the lands held by the Indians in what is
now Miami county. A mounument commemorating this event was erected at the foot
of theMaumee Rapids. This is a great limestock rock carved with the prints of many
turkey feet. When Me-sa-sa or Turkey Foot, the English equivalent who was the
Indian chief in the fight at Fallen Timbers, saw his braves deserting him he leaped
with desperation on a rock at this spot. With all of his Indian eloquency and fired with
desperation, he exposed himself to the enemy and harangued his warriors, but they
fled in a panic of fear. Brave Me-sa-sa was struck by a bullet and died heroically on
this spot. To preserve the memory of this brave Indian the turkey feet were carved in
this stone and for many years the remaining Indians made Pilgrimages to it, leaving
offerings to the spirit of Me-sa-sa. It has been the object of interest to tourists and
sightseers from many sections of the country.
By treaty and voluntary relinquishment, the Indian title passed out between 1784 and
1794, and the latter date found the Indian menace reduced to a minimum. The signing
of the Treaty following the Wayne expedition gave impetus to the new settlement of
this region. The next event of importance, the John Cleves Symmes purchase, might
be said to mark the beginning of the real settlement of the Miami valley. The territory
had assumed a definite position and titles could be made secure. The vanguard of the
great army of pioneers now began to pour over the Alleghenies. The Symmes
purchase is treated elsewhere in this work.
Settlements were made in the vicinity and on the site of the present city of Dayton, by
General Dayton and others and the drift began northward. Among the first to reach
the present limits of Miami county were Samuel Morrison, David H. Morris and others.
They located near the mouth of Honey creek and in the spring of 1791 established a
permanent settlement. A short time later the boundaries of the town christened
Livingston were defined. The same year Jonathan Rollins, Samuel Hillard, John
Gerard, Shadrach Hudson, Daniel Cox, Thomas Rich and others entered Miami
In the spring of 1798 John Knoop, Benjamin Knoop, Henry Gerard, Benjamin Hamlet,
John Tilden and Daniel and Christopher Knoop located near the present village of
Staunton. In the spring of 1799 we find that John Gerard, Uriah Blue, Joseph Cole,
Abram Hathaway, Nathaniel Gerard and Abner Gerard joined the little colony at this
place. The settlers were from various parts of the country and although they filtered in
slowly at first, Miami county soon drew a generous share of the sturdy pioneers. They
came from New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Virginia; from the Carolinas and Georgia
and among the early settlers was a general sprinkling of Yankees. There was a
pronounced Scotch-Irish strain in this vanguard of civilization, especially in the
contingent from the Carolinas.
The land was heavily wooded with a touch of prairie appearing here and there. The
sound of a woodsman's ax resounded throughout the valley and log cabins began to
appear as if by magic. The valley soon became dotted with these primitive dweilings
of the pioneers and the great tide of settlement had begun.
As the settlers gathered into communities and established definite settlements, the
necessity for gristmills and sawmills became apparent. This was the next step in the
march of progress, and by 1807 there were six mills in operation in this county, as
follows: Mordecai Mendenball's on Honey creek; Henry Gerard's on Spring creek;
John Freeman's and John Manning's on the Miami river; Moses Coate's on Ludlow
creek; Mast's, Weddle's and Empire's on Stillwater.
A great deal of trading at this early time was in the nature of exchange. Money was
rarely seen at that time and values were largely standardized on a trading basis.
Periodical trips were made to Cincinnati which was generally a community affair. A tr
ip of this kind was an event of great importance, goods needed at the settlement were
listed, the wagon was provisioned and articles that might be traded, such as were
produced at that time, were sent to Cincinnati on these trips to be traded for the
necessities of the settlements.
Up to and including the year of 1807, we find the following settlers of Miami county
living here at that time: On the east side of the river, south, were Samuel Morrison;
David H. Morris; William and Mordecai Mendenhall; Robert Crawford; John H. and
Cunningham Crawford; William Ellis; Benjamin Lee; Daniel Agnebrood; Christian and
Daniel Lefevre; John Andrew; Step hen, Benjamin, William and Andrew Dye, jr.; John,
Christian and Benjamin Knoop; Cornelius Westfall; Fielding Lowry; Thomas Sayres;
Peter Felix; John Gerard; Simon Laudry; Uriah Blue; Barnabus and James Blue;
Jonathan Rollins; Shadrach Hudson; John, Samuel and Lewis Winans; Abner, Henry
and Nathaniel Gerard; Richard Winnans; John Orbison; Joseph, Charles and Samuel
Hillard; Benjamin Hamlet; William Knight; John and Joseph Webb; David and John
Knight; Richard Palmer; John Wallace; William Brown; Joseph Coe; Stephen
Winnans; Abraham Hathaway; William Carter; Bennett Langley; Caleb Hathaway;
William and James 1. McKinney; John and Jacob Mann; Lewis and Obadiah Winters;
Philip Sailor; George Williams; Jacob Sailor; Chris Prillman; John Batterall; Peter
Harmon, John Flyn; James McCampbell; Ralph French; Samuel James andi Louis
On the west side of the Miami, to the north we have John Johnston, who was Indian
agent; Frank and James Johnston; Benjamin Leavel; Hugh Scott; Mr. Hendershot;
Armstrong Brandon; John and Enos Manning; Alexander Ewing; Joseph McCool;
Mathew Caldwell; the Statler family; the Beedles; James Brown; William Mitchell;
Alexander McCullough; Robert Mackey; William Barbee, sr., father of Judge Barbee;
James Orr; Reuben Shackelford; Aaron Tullis and his sons, John, Aaron, William,
David, Joel, John T. and Stephen; Henry and Peter Kerns; Samuel Kyle; Thomas and
Samuel Kyle, jr.; William Adams, Abraham Thomas; Robert McGimsey; William, Adam
and Samuel Thomas; William Gahagan; John Peck; John Orbison; James Knight;
Jesse Gerard; George Kerr; James Yourt; George F. Tennery; Joseph Layton;
Frederic Yourt; Jesse Jenkins; Andrew Thomson; Amos and David Jenkins, and
David Jenkins, Esq.; Samuel Freeman and his sons, Samuel Daniel, John, Noah and
Shylock; Samuel and Enoch Pearson; Peter Oliver and his sons, William and
Thomas; Arthur Stewart; Andrew Wallace; James Yourt; William Brown; Thomas
Williams; Joseph Fumas; Joseph Evans; John Mote; Jonathan Mote; Benjamin
Pearson; Robert and Joseph McCool; William, Thomas and John Coppock; Samuel,
Jesse, John and Moses Coates; Thomas Hill and his sons Nathan and John; Michael
and George Williams; William Long; Robert Leavel; Samuel Jones; Jacob Ember;
Jonathan Mills; David Patty; Abiather Davis; Caleb Neal; John Mart; James Nayton;
Samu el Davis; Jonathan Jones; Samuel Teague; Samuel Peirce, and Robert
In 1868 we find the following living, enumerated above: Christian Lefevre, Eliza
Webb, John Webb, John T. Tullis, Samuel Thomas, Robert McCool, Samuel Coates,
David Patty, Samuel Davis, Jonathan Jones, and Robert McConnell.
8 - HISTORY OF MONTGOMERY COUNTY, OHIO.
Almost every conceivable industry has at some time been carried on within the limits
of the township. Hole's and Sugar Creeks have afforded employment for no less than
seven saw-mills, five flouring-mills, one cotton factory, one fulling-mill and one oil-mill.
Besides this water-power machinery, there have been in use at different times, two
horse-power carding machines and three steam saw-mills.
One of the first men identified with the manufacturing interests of this township was
Isaac Harrison, who came to Ohio in 1802, and settled twelve miles above Cincinnati.
By trade, he was a carder and fuller. and. removing to Washington Township in 1808,
he purchased land on Hole's Creek, near Woodburn. upon which there was a saw mill
in operation. This mill he continued to run until he enlisted in the war of 1812. After
returning from. the war, he, in 1813 or 1814, converted his sawmill into a carding and
fulling mill. This was the second mill of the kind in the county, and was operated by
Mr. Harrison until 1833, when it was abandoned, and a stone factory, for the
manufacture of cloth, stocking yarn, etc., took its place. This factory Mr. Harrison
continued to operate until his death in December, 1842. and then the property fell into
the hands of his son William, by whom the business was prosecuted two years longer.
when it was suspended.
Probably the most extensive and at the same time the least profitable business ever
carried on in the township was the manufacture of woolen, cotton. hemp and linen
goods by the " Farmers' and Mechanics' Manufacturing Company, of Centerville,
Montgomery Co.. Ohio." Excessive length of title must have been fatal to the
company. for, although it is believed that the firms who leased the company's property
all made money. the venture was a decided financial failure to the company itself,
some members of which lost $20,000 before the factory was abandoned.
In October, 1815, a meeting of the respectable gentlemen of the county was called at
the house of John Archer. Centerville. to discuss the feasibility of establishing a
woolen and cotton factory on Hole's Creek. Books for stock subscription were opened
immediately after the meeting. and. January 24. 1816. the trustees met at the same
place to elect a superintendent and let contracts for building the factory, digging the
race. making the dam and for millwright work.
It was not the design of the company to run the factory themselves, but to lease it to
reliable manufacturing firms or men. The first lessees were Isaac Hodgson & Co., and
they commenced operations some time in 1817. Another leasee was Michael Canady.
who held the property for several years.
The following is believed to be a complete list of the stockholders: John Archer,
James S. Blair. William Blair, John Bailey. Jacob Benner, Abraham Buckles, Aaron
Baker, James Chatham. Abner Crane, Thomas Clawson, John Gephart, Abner
Girard, John Harris, Amos Irvin, William Irvin, William Long. William Luce, Edmund
Munger. Richard Mason. Benjamin Maltbie. Thomas Newton, Aaron Nutt, Sr., George
Nultz, William Newman, James Russell, Thomas Rue, Peter Sunderland, Henry
Stansell, William Stephen, Robert Scott, John Taylor, Asher Tibbals, Samuel Wilson.
John Whitsell, Jonathan Watkins, Jacob Yazel, David Yazel.